1. 1. Johnston LD, Miech RA, O'Malley PM, Bachman JG, Schulenberg JE, Patrick ME. Monitoring the Future National Survey Results on Drug Use, 1975-2018: Overview, Key Findings on Adolescent Drug Use. Institute for Social Research. 2019 Jan.
2. Miech R, Johnston L, O'Malley PM, Bachman JG, Patrick ME. Trends in adolescent vaping, 2017–2019. New England Journal of Medicine. 2019 Oct 10;381(15):1490-1.
3. Layden JE, Ghinai I, Pray I, Kimball A, Layer M, Tenforde MW, Navon L, Hoots B, Salvatore PP, Elderbrook M, Haupt T. Pulmonary illness related to e-cigarette use in Illinois and Wisconsin. New England journal of medicine. 2020 Mar 5;382(10):903-16.
4. Dai H, Hao J. Exposure to advertisements and susceptibility to electronic cigarette use among youth. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2016 Dec 1;59(6):620-6.
5. Anand V, McGinty KL, O'Brien K, Guenthner G, Hahn E, Martin CA. E-cigarette use and beliefs among urban public high school students in North Carolina. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2015 Jul 1;57(1):46-51.
6. Gentzke AS, Creamer M, Cullen KA, Ambrose BK, Willis G, Jamal A, King BA. Vital signs: tobacco product use among middle and high school students—United States, 2011–2018. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2019 Feb 15;68(6):157.
7. Duke JC, Lee YO, Kim AE, Watson KA, Arnold KY, Nonnemaker JM, Porter L. Exposure to electronic cigarette television advertisements among youth and young adults. Pediatrics. 2014 Jul 1;134(1):e29-36.
8. Mantey DS, Cooper MR, Clendennen SL, Pasch KE, Perry CL. E-cigarette marketing exposure is associated with e-cigarette use among US youth. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2016 Jun 1;58(6):686-90.
9. Ritter SL. Heating up the debate: e-cigarettes and Instagram.
10. FDA. 2019. FDA warns JUUL Labs for marketing unauthorized modified risk tobacco products, including in outreach to youth; [accessed 2019 Oct 3]. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fdawarns-juul-labs-marketing-unauthorized-modified-risk-tobacco-products-including-outreach-youthCarpenter CM, Wayne GF, Pauly JL, Koh HK, Connolly GN. New cigarette brands with flavors that appeal to youth: tobacco marketing strategies. Health Affairs. 2005 Nov;24(6):1601-10.
11. Kong G, Morean ME, Cavallo DA, Camenga DR, Krishnan-Sarin S. Reasons for electronic cigarette experimentation and discontinuation among adolescents and young adults. Nicotine & tobacco research. 2015 Jul 1;17(7):847-54.
12. Goldenson NI, Leventhal AM, Stone MD, McConnell RS, Barrington-Trimis JL. Associations of electronic cigarette nicotine concentration with subsequent cigarette smoking and vaping levels in adolescents. JAMA pediatrics. 2017 Dec 1;171(12):1192-9.
13. Varlet V, Farsalinos K, Augsburger M, Thomas A, Etter JF. Toxicity assessment of refill liquids for electronic cigarettes. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2015 May;12(5):4796-815.
14. Allen JG, Flanigan SS, LeBlanc M, Vallarino J, MacNaughton P, Stewart JH, Christiani DC. Flavoring chemicals in e-cigarettes: diacetyl, 2, 3-pentanedione, and acetoin in a sample of 51 products, including fruit-, candy-, and cocktail-flavored e-cigarettes. Environmental health perspectives. 2016 Jun;124(6):733-9.
15. Kreiss K, Gomaa A, Kullman G, Fedan K, Simoes EJ, Enright PL. Clinical bronchiolitis obliterans in workers at a microwave-popcorn plant. New England Journal of Medicine. 2002 Aug 1;347(5):330-8.
16. Meehan-Atrash J, Luo W, Strongin RM. Toxicant formation in dabbing: the
terpene story. ACS omega. 2017 Sep 30;2(9):6112-7.
17. Khlystov A, Samburova V. Flavoring compounds dominate toxic aldehyde production during e-cigarette vaping. Environmental science & technology. 2016 Dec 6;50(23):13080-5.
18. CDC. 2020. Outbreak of lung injury associated with the use of e-cigarette, or vaping, products [Internet]; [accessed 2020 Jun 22]. https:// www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html
19. Sun LH. Contaminant found in marijuana vaping products linked to deadly lung illnesses, tests show. Washington Post [Internet]. https://www. washingtonpost. com/health/2019/09/05/contaminant-found-vaping-products-linked-deadly-lung-illnesses-state-federal-labs-show. 2019.
20. Mackey TK, Miner A, Cuomo RE. Exploring the e-cigarette e-commerce marketplace: Identifying Internet e-cigarette marketing characteristics and regulatory gaps. Drug and alcohol dependence. 2015 Nov 1;156:97-103.
21. Siegel DA, Jatlaoui TC, Koumans EH, Kiernan EA, Layer M, Cates JE, Kimball A, Weissman DN, Petersen EE, Reagan-Steiner S, Godfred-Cato S. Update: interim guidance for health care providers evaluating and caring for patients with suspected e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury—United States, October 2019. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2019 Oct 18;68(41):919.
22. Sommerfeld CG, Weiner DJ, Nowalk A, Larkin A. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis and acute respiratory distress syndrome from e-cigarette use. Pediatrics. 2018 Jun 1;141(6).
23. Arter ZL, Wiggins A, Hudspath C, Kisling A, Hostler DC, Hostler JM. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia following electronic cigarette use. Respiratory medicine case reports. 2019 Jan 1;27:100825.
24. Henry TS, Kligerman SJ, Raptis CA, Mann H, Sechrist JW, Kanne JP. Imagingfindings of vaping-associated lung injury. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2020 Mar 8;214(3):498-505.
25. Mukhopadhyay S, Mehrad M, Dammert P, Arrossi AV, Sarda R, Brenner DS, Maldonado F, Choi H, Ghobrial M. Lung biopsy findings in severe pulmonary illness associated with E-cigarette use (vaping) A report of eight cases. American journal of clinical pathology. 2020 Jan 1;153(1):30-9.
26. Christiani DC. Vaping-induced acute lung injury. New England Journal of Medicine. 2020 Mar 5;382(10):960-2.
27. Pray IW, Atti SK, Tomasallo C, Meiman JG. E-cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use–Associated Lung Injury Among Clusters of Patients Reporting Shared Product Use—Wisconsin, 2019. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2020 Mar 6;69(9):236.
28. Grady D. Dank Vapes, TKO and other THC vaping brands are linked to illnesses, CDC says. New York Times. 2019.
29. Kalininskiy A, Bach CT, Nacca NE, Ginsberg G, Marraffa J, Navarette KA, McGraw MD, Croft DP. E-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury (EVALI): case series and diagnostic approach. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2019 Dec 1;7(12):1017-26.
30. Polosa R, Campagna D, Sands MF. Counseling patients with asthma and allergy about electronic cigarettes: an evidence-based approach. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2016 Feb 1;116(2):106-11.
31. Schweitzer RJ, Wills TA, Tam E, Pagano I, Choi K. E-cigarette use and asthma in a multiethnic sample of adolescents. Preventive medicine. 2017 Dec 1;105:226-31.
32. Clapp PW, Jaspers I. Electronic cigarettes: their constituents and potential links to asthma. Current allergy and asthma reports. 2017 Nov;17(11):1-3.
33. Bayly JE, Bernat D, Porter L, Choi K. Secondhand exposure to aerosols from electronic nicotine delivery systems and
asthma exacerbations among youth with asthma. Chest. 2019 Jan 1;155(1):88-93.
34. Bradford LE, Rebuli ME, Ring BJ, Jaspers I, Clement KC, Loughlin CE. Danger in the vapor? ECMO for adolescents with status asthmaticus after vaping. Journal of Asthma. 2020 Nov 1;57(11):1168-72.
35. Cho JH, Paik SY. Association between electronic cigarette use and asthma among high school students in South Korea. PloS one. 2016 Mar 4;11(3):e0151022.
36. Kim SY, Sim S, Choi HG. Active, passive, and electronic cigarette smoking is associated with asthma in adolescents. Scientific reports. 2017 Dec 19;7(1):1-8.
37. McConnell R, Barrington-Trimis JL, Wang K, Urman R, Hong H, Unger J, Samet J, Leventhal A, Berhane K. Electronic cigarette use and respiratory symptoms in adolescents. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine. 2017 Apr 15;195(8):1043-9.
38. Kotoulas SC, Pataka A, Domvri K, Spyratos D, Katsaounou P, Porpodis K, Fouka E, Markopoulou A, Passa‐Fekete K, Grigoriou I, Kontakiotis T. Acute effects of e‐cigarette vaping on pulmonary function and airway inflammation in healthy individuals and in patients with asthma. Respirology. 2020 Oct;25(10):1037-45.
39. Garcia-Arcos I, Geraghty P, Baumlin N, Campos M, Dabo AJ, Jundi B, Cummins N, Eden E, Grosche A, Salathe M, Foronjy R. Chronic electronic cigarette exposure in mice induces features of COPD in a nicotine-dependent manner. Thorax. 2016 Dec 1;71(12):1119-29.
40. Solinas A, Paoletti G, Firinu D, Di Pino M, Tusconi M, Mura JF, Del Giacco S, Marongiu F. Vaping effects on asthma: results from a web survey and clinical investigation. Internal and Emergency Medicine. 2020 Jun;15(4):663-71.
41. Zhu SH, Melcer T, Sun J, Rosbrook B, Pierce JP. Smoking cessation with and without assistance: a population-based analysis. American journal of preventive medicine. 2000 May 1;18(4):305-11.