[Home ] [Archive]    
:: Main About journal Editorial Board Current Issue Archive Submit an article Site Map Contact ::
:: Volume 2, Issue 2 (June 2013) ::
Int J Med Invest 2013, 2(2): 0-0 Back to browse issues page
Muge Oguzkaya Artan *, A. Nedret Koc, Zeynep Baykan, Hikmet Buldu
Erciyes University, Halil Bayraktar Health Services Vocational College, Kayseri, Turkey
Abstract:   (9339 Views)
Objective: This study is planned to determine the prevalence and causative agents of tinea capitis in rural area of Kayseri province. Patients and Methods: From March 2005 to May 2005, a school survey of 1396 primary school children was carried out. Data regarding clinical semptoms (itching), and signs (scaling, hair loss, black dots, kerion, scutulum, pustules, and id reaction) were noted and a presumptive clinical diagnose was made. Hair roots, the content of plugged follicles and skin scales were obtained from these children with one or more signs associated with tinea capitis. All collected specimens were analyzed by direct microscopy and culture. Results: Twenty-five cases of tinea capitis were clinically diagnosed. Four (0.3%) of them were diagnosed both clinically and using culture. Seven cases (28%) were diagnosed microscopically whereas the remaining 18 (72%) cases had a clinical diagnose. We also isolated and identified Trichophyton verrucosum (four cases). Conclusion: The study indicated that tinea capitis in our region is rare and the causative organism of tinea capitis is T.verrucosum. In order to prevent children from tinea capitis infection it is important to improve sanitary conditions.
Keywords: Tinea capitis, children, prevalance
Full-Text [PDF 714 kb]   (1272 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: General
Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:


XML     Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Oguzkaya Artan M, Koc A N, Baykan Z, Buldu H. PREVALENCE OF TINEA CAPITIS IN PRIMARY SCHOOL CHILDREN. Int J Med Invest. 2013; 2 (2)
URL: http://intjmi.com/article-1-35-en.html

Volume 2, Issue 2 (June 2013) Back to browse issues page
International Journal of Medical Investigation
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries by YEKTAWEB 4056